Today, I will be showing you the ultimate guide on how to start a blog with WordPress! Blogging has completely transformed my life. I’ve become a freelance copywriter earning thousands, made money from sponsored posts and affiliate marketing, and made extra cash from advertising streams. I’m able to work the hours I choose, build a career I’m super proud of, and have a flexible schedule which enables me to spend more time with loved ones. Learning how to start a blog is easy to do with just a couple of dollars per month.
My Tutorial on How to Start a Blog on WordPress
If you want to make money from your blog, using a platform like WordPress is essential. Owning a self-hosted website on WordPress allows you to earn money via affiliate marketing, advertising or selling your own products. There have been many cases where Google have deleted Blogger blogs because they consider it spam. Having a self-hosted WordPress blog gives you control over your own website. I’ve had blogs on WordPress, Blogger, and Squarespace – WordPress is, by far, the best platform I’ve used.
The Benefits of Using WordPress
- Cost effective – You can set up a WordPress blog for a small monthly fee and your earning potential is infinite. Take a look at how you can make money blogging in my post here. All these ways are possible with a WordPress website. You can easily tailor your site to start selling your own products or services if you wish.
- Professional design – You can easily find a professional theme for your website without spending thousands on a bespoke design. The free plugins that WordPress offer also make it super easy to add desired elements like growing email subscribers with an email capture form.
- SEO friendly – Using a plugin like Yoast makes SEO optimisation straightforward. You can easily enhance SEO with very little input.
- Ease of use – WordPress is a breeze to use. Whether you want to change up your design, add or remove a plugin or add content, you can simply do so in just a few clicks.
- Regular updates – WordPress have regular updates so its constantly improving.
You can easily change your life by simply doing something you love from your own personal space!
My preferred WordPress host is Bluehost – it’s easy to setup, has a low outlay and has excellent support! WordPress is also FREE on Bluehost, along with a completely FREE DOMAIN and FREE SSL CERTIFICATE. By following these steps, you’ll create a WordPress website you can start earning money from immediately. REGISTERING A DOMAIN NAME When starting a WordPress blog on Bluehost, the first thing you need to think about is your domain name. This can be tough, but a catchy blog domain name will help you to attract readers to your site. You can purchase your domain name and start a blog by clicking here – just follow the steps online. You get a FREE domain name when you purchase web hosting for 12 months. This makes the process highly cost effective as the hosting cost is cheaper. BUY HOSTING FOR YOUR BLOG Getting your domain name through Bluehost directly will make the set-up whole process much easier!!You’ll find that you’ll save more money with the 12-month subscription as opposed to a month on month basis, but the best deal would be to purchase hosting over a 36-month period, as your rate per month is super cheap. If you want to get a free domain, follow below for the next steps as you will be able to get your hosting page and domain in one step!
- To get the cheapest price to start your blog, then choosing the basic plan of just $2.75 per month (if you sign up for 36 months) is a really great price! You do have other options but the price per month will start to rise for the 24-month plan ($3.95 PM) and for the 12 months plan, it works out at $4.95 PM. A few cautionary words though, if you are still not 100% sure about blogging yet, then simply opt for the 12-month plan as you’ll still get a free domain.
- A basic plan is all you really need for now so ignore the plus and business plans as they tend to be more expensive (you can always upgrade to a better plan in future and just pay the difference from the plan you are currently on).
- Other items you may consider buying are domain privacy protection, which ensures that all your contact information stays safe and remains private – this is only $0.99 per month.
- Remember, if you do decide to sign up through my link then you’ll receive your domain for FREE (who doesn’t like free stuff?!), but only if you buy a 12, 24 or 36-month blog hosting plan.
Honestly, buying hosting for a minimum of 12 months is far more cost effective than paying month-to-month. You also have the assurance that your hosting is paid for in advance. Additionally, you don’t have to worry about your website ‘going down’ if your hosting isn’t paid for – it could seriously affect your blogging business and you’ll end up losing web traffic and potential income opportunities. With the 12 months plus plan, you get your domain free and don’t have to worry about missing a payment to keep your dream alive. I find thinking about blog admin creates more stress and unwanted attention to the wrong things when you should use this energy to create the content you love without losing any focus! Blog hosting costs around $59 a year, or just $99 for 3 years which is an amazing investment. The 12-month plan works out at $59 per year, but undoubtedly the best plan is the 36 months as the average cost per month is much lower and can only benefit you! Follow the below steps to buy hosting for your blog:
- Go to the website Bluehost and select the ‘Get started Now’ button.
- Select the package/option you’re interested in.
- Enter your domain name you registered with, or if not currently registered, select sign up for a new domain.
- Enter all your payment and personal details.
- Enter a secure password (make a note of this, if needed).
Install WordPress on Bluehost This section is straight forward which makes it very simple to create a FREE WordPress blog!
- After your password has been created, Bluehost will then guide you through all the details in creating your first blog.
- First, pick a theme. You can always go back and change this option if you need to so it’s not too important at this stage, which is why there is an option to skip this step. Don’t forget that there are a variety of free themes to select!
- ‘Start building’ is the next option to click, which will bring you out to another screen where you can select either ‘business’ or ‘personal’. You can also click ‘I don’t need help’.
Your future in blogging starts now!! You have set up your WordPress blog. All you need now is high quality content to get the ball rolling. Check out my other blog related posts. If you need help setting up your WordPress blog, feel free to reach out to me via my contact page. I’m always here to help!